GUI controls for instrumentation

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Mar 25 10:11:37 UTC 2006

Le samedi 25 mars 2006 à 03:59 +0000, Joe Desbonnet a écrit :
> For full portability you have many options. Personally I would go the
> Java route. With excellent free IDEs like Eclipse you can get very
> productive in that environment.

Java server-side is a good idea.
On the client part it's a shockingly bad idea (and I include applets
there). Googling will find you boatloads of apps that choose java for
portability and still can not run on anything else than windows, because
just deploying the right JVM on all the systems you may target is a
major problem (and I'm not even counting the free stacks there).

If it where that easy, we'd have the latest eclipse version in Fedora
with all the major plugins instead of the current situation.

As a rule, if you can go thin-client just do it. Fat client in any
language will always be a deployment nightmare

--
Nicolas Mailhot