FC5: first impressions

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sun Mar 26 16:34:57 UTC 2006

On Sun, March 26, 2006 10:06 am, Willem Riede said:
> So there are different use cases, and at least an option will allow people
> to select the behavior that best fits them. FWIW I'm not convinced the
ideal
> algorithm has been discovered, or is even possible, as if you ask me to
> define when I want a new window to come up with focus and when not, the
> answer is "that depends on what I want to do with it"...

This is the crux of the issue: this problem does not have an obvious
correct solution. A normal approach would be "do no evil". That is,
there should be a hysteresis against changing well known behavior that
is tried, tested, and true. Experimental stuff like this should be
introduced gradually, with default to off, and only when it has been
proven in the field we may turn it on by default.

<offtopic>
Don't people find it funny that we, as a community, know all about
incremental improvements when it comes to patch management, but we behave
like righteous a--holes when it comes to imposing what we believe to be
the Right Way (TM) onto others? And hey, since we can now invoke the
Usability Principle, we are in the right to remove any way for the
luser to opt-out of our One True Way.

But I digress, we are not the target audience...
</offtopic>

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.