FC5: first impressions

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 19:30:11 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 March 2006 16:52, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> yes launching mplayer in fullscreen mode from a terminal... its
> inconceivable why anyone would want mplayer to actuall go fullscreen.
> It makes so much more sense for the mplayer window, which was
> deliberately requested to be in fullscreen with a cmdline argument to
> load behind my terminal and the gnome-panels as well.  It's so simple
> and intuitive to have to click on that fullscreen requested mplayer
> window, not once.. but twice (to bring it above the terminal and the
> gnome-panel objects) to have it in the foreground like it would when
> called from pretty much anything other than gnome-terminal.

 For the record, I also totally agree with the point you are making.

> What I really really love.. is when the entire window for the
> application you just lauched is covered by the lauching terminal.
> Even better when that completely obscured window is a dialog with a
> timer action. I wonder, are any of those new fangled keyboard focus
> stealing password dialogs affected by the pop-under behavior? Wouldn't
> that be funny... a password dialog that you can't see which forcibly
> steals keyboard focus for security reasons.. sitting under your
> terminal window which forcibly causes new windows to pop-under for
> usability reasons.. Does that count as ironic.. or is it just tragic?

 This is why I think the current solution is not "the" "right" one.

Bill"just because I disagree with the current solution doesn't actually mean I
really mean oh we should have the horrible nonoptimal solution and that
people should keep replying to me defending the old behaviour"Crawford.