FC5: first impressions

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Mar 27 05:48:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Willem Riede wrote:

> Well, that's just your opinion. Mine is different. Sometimes I see a link in
> a mail that I want to follow up on later. I don't need firefox jumping in my
> face. Or a mail has an attachment I need to read - eventually. I'll open it
> with openoffice so I don't forget. But I don't want its splash screen nor
> window visible now.
>
> So there are different use cases, and at least an option will allow people to
> select the behavior that best fits them. FWIW I'm not convinced the ideal
> algorithm has been discovered, or is even possible, as if you ask me to
> define when I want a new window to come up with focus and when not, the
> answer is "that depends on what I want to do with it"...

Amen. Whether you want something to start focused or not depends 100% on
what you want to do with it *at that moment*. With browsers this is easy:
just open up stuff in new tabs as you encounter interesting links, and
then process the tabs eventually. The computer could never, ever know
whether I want to read that link immediately or later so the decision has
to be mine. Simple enough, left-click or middle-click.

Maybe this is just a crack idea from a caffeine deprived mind but what if
left click meaned start with focus and middle click start without focus?
It's kinda similar to the open in new tab-case from browsers and I think
that concept has already shown it works and isn't beyond the grasp of the
so called "average use" either ;)

 	- Panu -