Assignment of internet keys / media buttons

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 11:17:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'd like to know where to report problems with key mappings.

On my hardware (Dell Inspiron 6000) there are 'media buttons' (mute,
vol+/-, play, next, prev, stop) which are detected as keypresses with an
unmapped keycode.

I can find the keycodes using xev, then I can map them to something
useful using xmodmap, then compatible applications (eg. rhythmbox) do
the right thing when the buttons are pressed.

The first problem is that the keys are initially unmapped; a secondary
problem is that some controls (eg. volume popup) don't respond to the
volume keys when they probably should.

So, where can I tell someone about this mapping? Which package needs
some extra config? I should be able to provide a patch.

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--