Assignment of internet keys / media buttons

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Mon Mar 27 12:44:18 UTC 2006

Dnia 27-03-2006, pon o godzinie 12:17 +0100, Cam napisał(a):
> The first problem is that the keys are initially unmapped; a secondary
> problem is that some controls (eg. volume popup) don't respond to the
> volume keys when they probably should.
1. Write your modmaps to /etc/X11/Xmodmap. I use
add mod4 = Super_L
add mod4 = Super_R
because Super behavior is broken in Xorg since several years now (it was
long before XFree86 split), pity. I haven't found a way to do it via
GUI. The gnome-keyboard-properties dialog make it work if I go there and
click the option every time I log in. My CLI way is superior and I
recommend it.

2. Maybe offtopic, but I had a problem with volume controls not
responding because of bug in system-config-sound (there's a bug in
bugzilla for it). It breaks the default device in /etc/asound.conf under
some circumstances. If you have two sound cards, maybe that's the
cause :)

Lam