Package names in FC5

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Mar 28 12:42:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:56:17 +0100, Rafał Kwaśny wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder why some packages are named like:
>
> cman-1.0.5-0.FC5.1.i386.rpm
> (with capital FC5)
>
> some are named like:
> compat-gcc-32-g77-3.2.3-55.fc5.i386.rpm
>
> but most of them don't have any fc5 tag
> Is there any pattern in this?

No pattern. Core package developers can do what they want, and some of
them still don't seem to care that .fc3 is "newer than" .FC5 in RPM
version comparison.

In Fedora Extras, the distribution tag in the "Release" version number is
optional. But when used (through a macro in the package spec file), it is
inserted as lower-case .fc5 by the build-system.