Fedora's way forward

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Mar 28 18:07:41 UTC 2006

Le mardi 28 mars 2006 à 12:20 -0500, Eric S. Raymond a écrit :
> Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:
> > Since you seem to think there are yet to be discovered options in this
> > area for the community to "pay up" for a codebase, please contact the
> > patent holds for more information regarding the specific terms and
> > conditions detailing "paid up" status... especially with regard to
> > conditions as to coverage afforded to third parties who of
> > redistribute source code, binaries and modifications of both. I look
> > forward to your detailed analysis as to what options that we as
> > upstanding members of the foss community have after you have had a
> > chance to contact the appropriate patent holds and have reviewed the
> > specific terms and conditions of the "paid up" licensing option.
>
> I'd be willing.  But this really needs to be done by a lawyer.

You may like to know the fluendo people bought their own mp3 patent
license, and due to the license conditions :
1. they had to rewrite their own mp3 code, the major codebases being
GPLed which is not compatible with the patent licensing terms
2. you have to get the mp3 binary directly from them as the patent
license is to them only
3. the patent license covers one binary, they give you the code but if
you rebuild it the result is not allowed

I sure hope Red Hat spends their money in more productive areas

--
Nicolas Mailhot