speed up FC 5

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 22:18:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 02:08:21PM -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> > As we ( in India ) normally have 128 MB RAM and 1GHz to 2 GHz processor .
>
> http://www.rule-project.org
>      About the best you can tune Fedora Core for low-resource boxes.

128MB RAM doesn't really require some of this stuff. For 128MB I would suggest
the following is probably sufficient

1.	Offer a kernel with no audit/selinux support. Saves a lot of RAM but
	you want SELInux if you've got room IMHO so its beat an option

2.	Get rid of GNOME and ship Xfce. 		(big win)
	Get rid of Evolution and ship Sylpheed		(big win)
	Get rid of OpenOffice.org and ship Abiword	(huge win)

3.	Make sure you use the CFQ disk scheduler. That'll give
	the best responsiveness under swap load.	(small win)

That gets the main end user apps back to a sensible size. Web browser is
a trickier one and you may find it best to just keep firefox.

XFCe makes a huge difference. XFCe + Sylpheed + Abiword are snappy on a
128MB box

Alan