The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Tue Mar 28 22:37:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> If you look through the following, monster thread you'll find that
> elektra is a bad choice for the desktop configuration api.  System and
> desktop configuration requirements are different.  Also, the author of
> that GConf comparison doesn't seem to understand the problems GConf is
> attempting to solve which doesn't bode well for it ever displacing
> GConf.

If I am not mistaken since that time elektra has developed its backends so
that they can import/modify/export data from other systems like gconf so
that gnome can continue to depend on gconf while users/admins can have a
single method of modifying data.

In either case Elektra may very well not be the correct solution, but a
technical solution does exist, it may just not of been found/developed
yet.  There is a problem to be solved here, I haven't heard anyone argue
seriously to the contrary and this is by no means a new problem.  The
purpose of my original post was to start discussion on how that should
would look and how we are going to get there in a realistic and reasonable
way.

Shane.