The Strengths and Weakness of Fedora/RHEL OS management

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 28 23:26:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:59:48 -0800
Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com> wrote:

> I think Nicholas Mailhot had an extremely valid point:  The
> configuration format (key = value; <key>value</key>; etc) is not a major
> stumbling block for a system admin.  It's what the application
> developers choose as the name for key and what they fill value with that
> make configuration files easy or hard to understand.  Elektra and the
> like are seeking to solve a problem that will only marginally aid a
> system administrator in editing a config file from a text editor.

System administration of say dhcp or dns or any other service on Windows
isn't easier because of a unified key/value system.   And clearly
it has nothing to do with an ability to read well-named registry keys
(what a nightmare).  It's easier because of better and more functionally
complete GUI administration tools.   The same strategy should make
Linux easier to administor for those looking to make the jump.  And it
has the upside of not requiring a grand unified plan.

As i've said in quite a few posts I agree with your conclusion,
a common configuration registry will only improve things marginally.

Sean