Fedora's way forward

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Mar 29 06:18:12 UTC 2006

Matthew Swasey <matt at 0xf00d.com>:
> That's what I want to know.  Why is everyone so hell bent on world
> domination?

Basically because we have to be.  The problem is that we have
adversaries with which "peaceful coexistence" would be chronically
unstable, not from our side but from theirs.

Microsoft is the most obvious example, but the problem extends to other
monopolies dependent on IP lockdown, such as the DVDCCA's.  The existence
of open source is intrinsically threatening to these people.  Our choices
come down to either defeating them or having our culture and our projects
EULAd and DRMed to death.

I could now emit pious waffle about how in a better world we'd just
play in our corner and they'd play in theirs, but to be honest I enjoy
poking evil empires in the eye far too much to really mean it.