Fedora's way forward

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Mar 29 14:53:50 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> You arent? The claim that mp3 wasnt patented followed up statements that
> Red Hat should pay up a patent license for half a million dollars surely
> looked like controversial to me from a open source advocate.

I never claimed MP3 wasn't patented, and $50K is not half a million.
Keep your facts straight, at least.

> Thats exactly what would happen. You can talk about all you want about
> support open formats but if you dont actually build up volume nobody is
> going to use it. If mp3 was supported out of the box in Fedora, why
> would there be any incentive left for anyone to use ogg codecs?

Um...because Ogg is a better format?

> Those are Fedora users too. Should we abandon them?

Zealots drive me crazy.  Poke one in the wrong place and his brain
just shuts down entirely.

Read my lips: nobody is talking about 'abandoning' any user, distribution,
or format.  Adding support for what users actually want is not abandonment.