Fedora Looks Fresh and Functions Well

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 09:28:00 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm really enjoying using FC5.  Tomboy is a great tool for jotting
down ideas.  I actually put together this email using a few tomboy
notes.  I have a few suggestions -- that you can take or leave -- that
I wanted to share to help out with 'Fedora's way forward'. :)  Here
they are:

1) A welcome to Fedora (or RHEL) tutorial for new accounts and even
maybe a tips section everytime you log in.  DAC would be a really good
topic for new users.

2) Have a place in Preferences set up for the two or three available
Javas (Sun's and the OSS ones).  Then when you have installed Sun's
Java you have a place to switch back to the old one, and vice versa.
(Question: Is a compiled Azureus the same if it's based on Sun or
GCJ?)

3) I have a question on codecs.  Is it possible to get all OSS codecs
these days based on the GStreamer plugin system?  I think the whole
audio/video codec problem would go away if there was a GStreamer Codec
management system where OSS codecs would be there by default and then
the user would go out and get all the proprietary GStreamer codecs
he/she is missing.  It should be simple to look at a Fedora system,
and say "alright, got those ones, but missing these ones (like
mp3/avi).  And I can figure out where to get them."  And this
presupposes a future where there are only Gstreamer codecs.

4) Since Firefox is one of the most important pieces of the Linux OS
these days, it would be great to have all of the alphas, betas and RCs
available in update-testing.  That would allow some users to test
Firefox for bugs over an extended period of time before 2.0 or 3.0
comes out.  Obviously, under some guidance from Fedora with all the
patches they put into it.

5) An updating system (maybe using deltarpms or smartrpms) that could
compete with the updating system available on Windows XP and OS/X.
Smaller updates are really needed.

That's all!  Back to testing out FC5.  And Thanks!

Benjy