Fedora's way forward

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Thu Mar 30 23:27:54 UTC 2006

> What I believe, legal told us is that what we can point to third party
> websites that dont contain any software by themselves as long as we dont
> tell them what to look for in that websites.

So what could happen (and I hope everyone is listening/looking at this),
so everyone understands at this point for legal reason and such is
this..

1 - Fedora includes link/bookmark in the default bookmarks of whatever
web browsers (or in the release notes or whatever) that points to
www.some3rdpartyrepo.com site.  And the properties or name of this link
is maybe 3rd Party Programs, but no one individual program is mentioned.

2 - This web site can have all the .repo/apt/whatever files that link to
all the different repos.  Or it can have it's own one little .repo/apt
file that has all the repos already in it, or whatever.

3 - This site would also already have whatever permissions it needs (if
any at all) to link to all these sites and whatever else.

Would that satisfy most users for the time being until such time as
patents, permissions, or whatever are done/used/can be used/whatever?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!"