'Commercial Partners'

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 31 19:42:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:32:04 -0300
"Avi Alkalay" <avi at unix.sh> wrote:

> To help Eric fine tune his accuracy, I have to say that I work in a
> global well known IT company, on Linux solutions sales. We fight
> everyday for Linux not to die in the commercial world, because of this
> annoying "missing packages". On the commercial desktop space this is
> specially annoying.

For sure, but Linux is not defined by Fedora.   And Fedora is not tasked
with the goal of the commercial desktop space.

Red Hat has a product designed for the commercial desktop space for
instance, as do several other major vendors.

> This is so ridiculous that you still can find Linux sales people
> making Linux presentations on Linux events using MS PowerPoint. Just

lol, sad.

> because to use Linux isn't that straight forward as Andy may think.

Can't speak for Andy, but i haven't heard anyone say that this is
all straight forward in the larger sense of Linux as a whole.

> I believe that too much religion in our OSS world doesn't help much.
> Exactly as real religions, it makes its followers a bit blind to see
> whats really happening out there.

Most people in this debate on the FOSS side have taken great pains to
stear clear of the usual religious arguments.   For instance, nobody
is arguing that everyone should use FOSS come hell or highwater.   Nor
has anyone tried to say that nobody should use the proprietary repositories
on top of Fedora Core.

Just that as well as respecting the needs of those users, we should ALSO
respect the needs of the FOSS users.

> So I think Eric is pretty accurate in its statement.

The fundamental flaw in Eric's arguments come from equating Fedora with
all of the Linux landscape and then following that up with the notion
that therefore Fedora must do whatever is necessary to solve the problems
he sees with Linux overall.

Sean