Filesystem check

Emeric Maschino emeric.maschino at jouy.inra.fr
Wed May 3 09:42:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

Has something changed in the manner the filesystems are checked at boot
time?

Indeed, at startup, once the logical volumes are configured and
activated, my filesystem is checked but the check fails with the
following message:

e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

I'm then asked to enter the root password in order to manually check the
filesystem. At this stage, the filesystem is already mounted, so I
pressed Ctrl-D to continue and my system was rebooted.

The strange thing is that, if I boot using a rescue CD in order to run
e2fsck on unmounted filesystems, everything is clean.

Yesterday, I had the bad idea to finally enter the root password and
manually run fsck as requested. Of course, this ended up with a totally
corrupted filesystem. Fortunately, my data are on a separate disk. I've
then performed a network install of Fedora Core Rawhide during this
night (most recent packages dated May 2nd). Everything ran fine, but at
boot time, e2fsck is still failing and ask for a manual intervention!
Rebooting the system (Windows inside (R)) has no effect.

Any hint ? This is on an Itanium workstation (ia64) and I don't know if
this problem also appears on other architectures.

Many thanks,

	Émeric