layout of FC5 (and previous) CD's

Peter Bieshaar peter.bieshaar at gmail.com
Thu May 4 20:17:09 UTC 2006

OK I think the discussion is running out of hand and not what I meant in the
first place.

As far as I understand within the discussions, there was no or little common
sense in placing the rpm's on the CDs. Please forgive me if I'm wrong, all
FC guys did a tremendous job.

Can anyone JUST tell me how a "rpm -i some.rpm" knows that package
someother.rpm is needed.  I have tried before with --requires but that
didn't do the trick. I might come up with a little script which tells the
hierarchie on relationships, which can be used to differentiate the packages
on the CDs in a more structured way, which might be of help for future FC
distributions. These of course should only be handled for extras.

2006/5/4, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:

> Le jeudi 04 mai 2006 à 10:50 +0200, Peter Bieshaar a écrit :
> > I agree this is inconvenient for me ;) That's why I tried to suggest a
> > solution for my inconvenience. All I suggested is to have dependent
> > packages on the same disk, which I think could be done.
>
> Technical package inter dependencies are quite complex, and social
> dependencies (people use foo with bar even if they are technically
> distinct) are worse.
>
> I think if you actually try to do what you suggest you'll hit a wall
> pretty soon. Or buy a dvd reader.
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

> --