xorg-x11- packaging prefix

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed May 10 00:10:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 10:52 +0200, Terje Bless wrote:
> Mike A. Harris <mharris at mharris.ca> wrote:
>
> >- indicate that the software is an official part of the X.Org X11
> >distribution
>
> Perhaps symptomatic of the rationale being insufficiently mnemonic. :-)
>

> I know my expectation of a common packaging prefix is a) one of namespace and b)
> imposed by the distribution (not upstream). This implies that perl-* packages
> are all packages that the distributor deems related to Perl (modules, supporting
> utilities, etc.) but excepting "applications" that happen to be implemented in
> Perl. I would hold similar expectations for python-* and java-*.
>
> In the xorg-x11-* case I would definitely expect a driver, say, in this
> namespace to be in that namespace _because_ it is compatible with and
> supporting, extending, or augmenting "xorg-x11".
>
> However, I would certainly understand — and possibly also advocate — that a
> suitable entity is given authority over a given namespace to avoid clashes.

The name spaces are important.
There's in issue being discussed in extras right now because the muse
add-on for emacs was simply named muse - and not emacs-muse

Now there is a piece of software that SHOULD be called muse, but because
the emacs namespace was not used - there is already a package called
muse.

> This latter should not require trademark protection to enforce within a
> distribution, but it may be X is a special case and with additional requirements
> to reflect its more cross-distribution needs.

I think if documentation is clear that the xorg is there to designate a
namespace, there shouldn't be a problem.

The namespace-name does not indicate that the package is part of the
namespace project.

> BTW, this isn't an argument that one or another set of packages should be
> renamed. I think, rather, that I conclude Fedora needs to come up with a general
> namespace policy that ensure _all_ namespaces have the same underlying semantics
> and then take whatever suitable steps to bring the distribution into compliance
> with that.

Agreed.