RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun May 21 08:53:37 UTC 2006

Le dimanche 21 mai 2006 à 01:16 -0400, Mike A. Harris a écrit :
> However, since there are a large number of Xt, Xaw, and Motif
> based applications out there, as well as applications which use
> other less common toolkits - all of which use the core fonts
> system, it was obvious that we would need to provide core fonts
> compatibility in our OS products for the forseeable future.
>
> The simplest thing to do, was to just leave the existing system
> as it was, under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle,
> which is what I have pushed for since the Red Hat Linux days when
> we deprecated xfs and core fonts, reserving the future right to
> make changes if the need arose.

Hi Mike,

I can only approve phasing out core fonts one way or another. In fact
I'm convinced the last strugglers will *never* move to fontconfig unless
Red Hat / Fedora or another big distro exerts a bit of pressure (as was
the case for the gcc, utf-8 and selinux migrations), so waiting so long
for even making core fonts optional was in the end conterproductive (and
OLPC is paying the price today).

However I know it's a difficult decision to take, as the users of the
bad citizen apps still relying on core fonts are certain to yell loudly
near FC-6 release.

Good luck, may the force be with you ;)

Regards,

--