question about creation of updated DVD iso

Hans Kristian Rosbach hk at isphuset.no
Wed May 24 09:06:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 09:57 -0400, Steven Augart wrote:
*snip*
> (The motivation here was that FC 5's Anaconda has a bug in it that
> crashes when it tries to find the CD drive on an IBM Blade Center, if
> the Kickstart file is on CD.  Although I fixed the bug and posted the
> URL for the patches, it would be a lot less work, in most cases, just to
> work around it by reading the Kickstart file off of a floppy disk.)

This is exactly what a respin would fix =)

> However, even though the scripts rebuild the initrd, I was using the
> kernel that came with the initrd.  I believe that the kernel builds for
> the initrd and installer CD are identical to the stock kernel that ships
> with FC 5 and is installed.  So using the stock one from the RPM should
> be safe.  If you want to recompile the kernel for some reason, then
> the .config file from that kernel is probably pretty safe too.
>
> I know that Hans K. Rosbach (at http://fedora.isphuset.no/ ) has rebuilt
> the Fedora Core 4 installation CD set, with updated RPM packages,
> including an updated installation kernel.  He calls it "Unofficial FC
> 4.2".  I'm certainly curious to know how he rebuilt the initrd for FC 4
> with the updated installer kernel; I myself failed to do it.

http://fedora.isphuset.no/howididit.txt

I haven't commented it a lot, but together with the comments from the
howto I derived it from it should be enough to get you going.

>  Here's the
> story, in case you find it helpful to know about a path that didn't work
> for me:
>
> I've been putting together an installation CD for us to use here at Mazu
> Networks to install on our Mazu Profiler security appliance (a hardware
> box that we sell).  We want a single CD that has bundled on it the
> Kickstart file we use and all of the packages we want to install.  After
> I got the FC 5 version working (by fixing Anaconda, as I mentioned
> above), we made a technical decision to base the current release of the
> product on FC 4.
>
> The problem here is that the distributed FC 4 installer comes with
> kernel version 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.  2.6.11 has a bug in the keyboard
> driver which causes a kernel panic when booting on the IBM Blade Center.
> 2.6.16 doesn't have it.  So, before I discovered Hans Rosbach's kernel,
*snip*

Actually my respins contain the official kernel RPM updates, so nothing
should differ from a normal install + updates.

But I am glad to see that I have helped some people.

I am considering making respins for FC5 aswell, but with the lack of
cooperation from fedora or community members it's currently on hold.

-HK