rawhide report: 20060524 changes

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl
Wed May 24 17:02:07 UTC 2006

Dnia 24-05-2006, śro o godzinie 12:44 -0400, Bill Nottingham napisał(a):
> Tomasz Kłoczko (kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl) said:
> > And what is so problematic in make this as "this feacture will be
> > disscontinued in FC6 ?"
> > Again: on strict distribution packages set amout of work is compareable
> > but just introduced way allow continue to grow entrophy .. probably this
> > way will create in future more cases for fixing.
> > Why not cut this now ?
>
> Because you're nuts. :)
>
> Seriously, you will then have reports from lots of users -
> "this software doesn't build on Fedora! Fedora sucks, I'm using
> Ubuntu."  Upstream maintainers who don't care about these things
> will just pile on, saying "Why use Fedora? This is just like
> gcc-2.96 all over again."

write patch for remove <foo>-config script -> introduce this in distro
resources and in the same moment submit this to <foo> package maintainer
with some technical argumentation "why it will good remove this" (one
reason we know .. it is bad multilib behavior) for include this in main
source tree.

> If we want to have the foo-config scripts warn, sure. Possibly
> even patch our own Core & Extras packages. But randomly breaking
> third-party software so it won't build isn't really practical.

I'm start from fribidi. OK. Lets look on some facts. Where it library is
used ? abiword ? (in all other cases applications are using fibidi
embeded in pango) huh .. where in this case is *real* problem ?

kloczek