Future Fedora Development

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Thu May 25 05:50:19 UTC 2006

Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Bernardo Innocenti <bernie at develer.com> said:
>> What's wrong with GPL programs using the Mozilla implementation?
>> Last time I checked NSS was totally GPL compatible.
>
> mozilla-nss requires mozilla-nspr.  libnss3.so also pulls in
> libpthread.so.  Those are pretty heavy requirements for SSL.

Yuk... I'm totally sick of this proliferation of portable
runtimes which usually turn out to be incompatible with each
other (license-wise or just because of conflicting definitions
and types).  To say nothing about the performance cost of adding
a useless layer.

We have APR, NSPR, glib, QtCore, libiberty, and a myriad of
others.

What's wrong with POSIX + SUSv3 and their friends?  All modern
OSes support them by now and there are even good implementations
for Windows.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/