Making LDAP easier to use

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe.alfaro at gmail.com
Thu May 25 09:51:54 UTC 2006

> Unfortunately, it's not like you can write a couple of
> new applications and you're done.  It would take some
> commitment by a distribution such as Fedora to bring the
> small bits together.

Right now, it requires a lot of integration work, but works pretty well.

> Most tools are there already, but not designed or tested
> to work well together.  And it's because very few people
> go through the pain of setting up an LDAP-based LAN.

I have set up some LDAP-based LAN's and I think that, although not
straightforward as installing Linux and clicking Next, Next, Next,
i'ts not as difficult as it could seem.

> Creating users in LDAP is hard.  The usual tools such as
> useradd and system-config-users should be teached how to do it.
> I still couldn't figure out how to change the posixAccount
> password in LDAP without using smbpasswd.

You can use "libuser", which supports several backends, being LDAP on
of then. I'm using
luseradd/lusermod/luserdel/lgroupadd/lgroupdel/lgroupmod from libuser
to manage my LDAP users and its work very well.