A sole, standard proxy library for Fedora

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Sat May 27 13:33:37 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Can I attest to how little this helps. First of all, this solution is
> virtually non existant without doing some Googling. Then (at least
> based on the solution I found) I had to write up a script to export
> the variables, both in lower case and uppercase, or export them
> manually.

How about having a file in /etc/profile.d, say proxy.sh and proxy.csh (yeah,
that's two, well, you get the point) containing this:
# Set your proxy using the following variables:
# http_proxy=http://your.proxy.server:8080
# ftp_proxy=http://your.proxy.server:8080
# If you need authentication, use:
# http_proxy=http://username:password@your.proxy.server:8080

At least that would save the Googling (and it's easy to do).

Then, we could make a system-config-proxy which would set this file, and set
the proxy in GNOME, KDE and firefox while it's at it.
Or we could fix the GNOME setting app and Kcontrol to setup environment
variables in /etc/profile.d/proxy.{sh,csh}. I'm not sure upstream would
accept setting the proxy in Firefox too though, so we might need a
system-config-proxy in the end.

Yes, this is suboptimal compared to using a single libproxy.so to rule them
all, but will big cross-platform apps like firefox support it ?

Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that it's all learned.