What's up with elfutils?

Nicholas Miell nmiell at comcast.net
Sun May 28 19:20:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 11:46 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:

> >>Remove elfutils from Fedora Core.

I just want to jump in here and note that I'm not advocating this.

> > So, you're saying that anything which isn't controlled by Fedora
> > shouldn't be shipped in Fedora Core?
> >
> > I guess we might as well stop trying to ship anything then as we don't
> > have direct control over *most* of what is shipped.
>
> Most of those projects have maintainers who respond in a somewhat timely
> fashion, and/or a public source tree (CVS, svn, etc.), and/or other
> forms of not-just-Red Hat participation.  Certainly most Fedora projects
> have "upstream."  That's fine.  What is not fine is a project that just
> sits there like a bump on a log despite open Bugzilla issues and
> demonstrated interest from "downstream" Fedora.
>
> > Note that elfutils is directly required by a number of packages within
> > Fedora Core and thus can't just be removed
>
> According to "rpm -qR elfutils" they are [excluding self references]:
>   libc.so.6
>   libdl.so.2
>   /sbin/ldconfig
> which are all part of glibc.  So elfutils can be flushed just by
> merging it into glibc.  Everybody else uses binutils.  Not many
> developers have ever used the "eu-" versions of nm, strip, size,
> readelf, addr2line.

ITYM:
[root at entropy ~]# repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps --resolve
"elfutils*" | sort -u | grep -v "^elfutils"
ddd-0:3.3.11-5.2.x86_64
ltrace-0:0.3.36-4.2.i386
ltrace-0:0.3.36-4.2.x86_64
net-snmp-devel-0:5.3-4.2.x86_64
prelink-0:0.3.6-3.x86_64
rpm-0:4.4.2-15.2.x86_64
rpm-build-0:4.4.2-15.2.x86_64
rpm-devel-0:4.4.2-15.2.x86_64
rpm-libs-0:4.4.2-15.2.x86_64
rpm-python-0:4.4.2-15.2.x86_64
systemtap-0:0.5.4-2.2.x86_64

And, having looked at binutils compared to elfutils and the other
libelfs out there, I'd much rather use libelf than libbfd.

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net>