Static linking considered harmful

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Nov 22 10:37:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:29:44AM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
>  >
>  > Not only. There are cases when all those issues are moot, a prominent one
>  > being for numerical models. Compiling models statically makes it possible
>  > to run them on any other linux (including different fedora version) box
>  > without recompiling. So all the libraries that can be used for numerical
>  > computations should have static libraries kept.
>
> This seems like a non sequitur.  What's special about numerical
> computations?

I already explained it in my mail? To be more precise

* security considerations are moot
* nss, iconv are not needed

Other arguments for dynamic linking are not compulsory.

And numerical models are programs we would like to be able to run on other
linux box without recompiling. Imagine that compilation takes 30 minutes
and that you want to start 20 runs in paralell from nfs mounted filesystem
in an heterogeneous linux environment with some redhat 6.2, 7.x, centos,
debian, mandrake and fedora core (real world example, of course).

--
Pat