X in FC7

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Sat Nov 11 00:37:07 UTC 2006

On Friday, November 10, 2006 8:32 am, Adam Jackson wrote:
> I've started a wiki page for some ideas of things I'd like to see us
> get done for X in FC7:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/XInFC7
>
> Currently a bit skeletal, but please do add ideas, no matter how
> wild.

Well, I created an account but can't seem to edit the page.  Anyway, I
like the idea of getting rid of xfs, it seems fairly useless.  And to
quote mharris from awhile back:

> Long term, what would be really nice, is if someone figured
> out a way to implement core fonts using fontconfig/Xft
> underneath so we have one font system, and it provides
> legacy compatibility to ancient applications that have not
> been updated to modern interfaces.  That is something that
> would need to be spearheaded at the X.Org level rather than
> at a specific distribution however.

That said, which apps care about core fonts these days?  Would it make
sense to just build-in a fixed font or something and let everything
else use fontconfig (as most decent apps do these days)?

And does the new Emacs still require libXaw or is a gtk-only build
possible?  If so, dropping Xaw would only mean losing xterm (a pain,
but there are lots of alternatives available, but only one Emacs).

Also, which input drivers should we be using?  Isn't synaptics much
better for laptops than the default mouse driver?  What about evdev?
Should it be the default?

Anyway, just some random questions & ideas.

Jesse