Testing Fedora - small (?) suggestion.

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun Nov 12 12:18:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:22:36 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le samedi 11 novembre 2006 à 17:57 -0500, Jesse Keating a écrit :
>
> > And if we force developers to spend too much time on making rawhide dep free
> > each and every day they'll have no time to actually work on functionality or
> > enhancements.
>
> You forget that a dep free rawhide will actually save time to other
> developpers which are working on another part of the repo

*Applause!*

This is the typical  discuss-things-endlessly-before-even-trying  type of
conversation. Meanwhile, the "Package EVR problems in FC+FE" report [1] gets
longer (even ".FC6" dist tags pop up in there - what the heck?!), and
Extras packagers don't rebuild their devel packages either. Even if they
managed to do so with a time-consuming mock build, they could not update
their rawhide machines (or upgrade FC6 to rawhide) without trying to hack
a long list of excludes.

Only if it can be installed, it can be tested.

[1] Question to the Core Steering people: Are you happy with what you see
here? https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2006-November/msg00097.html

--
And to make one thing clear, I don't mind occasional run-time surprises.
That's the risk I choose to take when trying out rawhide.