[RFE, Patch, Multi-lib] 32bit support /usr/bin/firefox

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 16:41:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 11:30 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> >
> > This a nice solution - though I rather have a simple method of
> > overriding the selection without editing a configuration file and/or
> > making it system wide.
> > IMHO, adding a command line parameters seems like the obvious choice as
> > it gives the user additional means of controlling which version is
> > executed.
> >
> > I can combine your patch with mine - read, use the default
> > in /etc/sysconfig/firefox-arch unless the user specifically requested
> > something else.
> > Does it sound reasonable to you?
> >
> > - Gilboa
>
> I don't think there is much value to end-users to have a --32 or --64
> switch, because command line is NOT how you should expect users to
> launch firefox.  It wouldn't hurt to have the option though.

I can argue that we can add a second icon that adds the --32bit command
line parameter.

> Also keep in mind that due to xremote, you CAN'T run both 32bit and
> 64bit browsers at the same time without making further modifications to
> firefox to handle it.

Known problem.
It's possible to disable xremote check if --32/--64 parameter is set,
but it may create havoc in the .mozilla directory, making it less, err,
useful.

> In any case, merging our patches would be a moot point, because it wont
> be accepted into Fedora.

Point taken.

...One question though, if there's no way to use it (32bit firefox), why
the !@?#^?#^ are we installing it in the first place?

- Gilboa