Testing Fedora - small (?) suggestion.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 20:21:56 UTC 2006

On 11/12/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good idea, but no go.
> If you create a static test case, upgrade can no longer be tested.

It seems Jesse has the better solution already by fixing anaconda to
work more generally.
If I understand him correctly.. we will be able to eat nightly
boot.iso images and point them to a previously existing test release
package tree (or even our own local trees) instead of having to
attempt a rawhide payload install.  So we should be able to get daily
testing of the installer codebase against a consistent payload tree
without an overhaul of the entire rawhide build process and associated
complications for Extras maintainers.  I think Jesse's idea is going
to solve the specific issue of installer testing quite well. And just
as importantly it will also make it easier to serve the community with
installer image updates post-release when they are needed to address
specific hardware issues.

I would encourage jesse or other release-eng people to give a nice big
heads-up to this list when the necessary changes to anaconda and the
boot.iso generation go live in rawhide.

-jef