X in FC7

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 14:49:06 UTC 2006

Avi Kivity wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
>>
>> As said on the wiki page, what problem is xfs trying to solve?  If
>> it's just about the ability to add fonts at runtime without having to
>> do 'xset fp rehash', then that should be a very small amount of code
>> to add to the X server.  You need to watch for directories popping in
>> and out of existance, but, okay, we know how to do that.
>
> Wasn't the X font server designed for storageless X terminals?
>
> You'd just point the X server at the font server, and get the fonts you
> need, without needing to replace the terminal's ROM.

Sure, but that doesn't explain why we use it for local font access.

Just to clarify, the font server will still be packaged and available,
it just won't be used by default by the local X server.  If you're
building a diskless workstation out of Fedora you would probably be
equally well served to just put the fonts on /usr on NFS anyway.

- ajax