rawhide report: 20061116 changes

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Nov 17 09:44:55 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote :

> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 20:37 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > > gnome-games-1:2.17.2-3.fc7
> > > --------------------------
> > > * Wed Nov 15 2006 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> - 1:2.17.2-3
> > > - Add Provides/Obsoletes for gnuchess (#215110)
> > >

> > Does this mean gnuchess has been absorbed into gnome-games now?
> >
> > Ifso will this impact other gnuchess frontends, as there are are a few
> > in FE?
> >
> > Any chance gnuchess could be put in a subpackage gnome-games-gnuchess,
> > so that people who only need gnuchess don't need to install all of
> > gnome-games?
>
> Or more preferably (IMHO), have gnome-games require gnuchess instead of
> trying to suck it up.  gnuchess has its own upstream; gnome-games isn't
> it

And while we're doing requests : I'd like to NEVER see "Obsoletes:"
like this one without a version, as it is simply asking for trouble.

For instance, gnome-games still has :
Provides: gnome-sudoku
Obsoletes: gnome-sudoku

Which means that if gnome-sudoku ever gets split back out, we're in
trouble. Not to mention that it's a clear "loop" which modern tools
have luckily been taught to break.

Provides: gnome-sudoku = last_known_version-release+2
Obsoletes: gnome-sudoku <= last_known_version-release+1

Allows us to avoid all of these problems, making it possible to
reintroduce gnome-sudoku at any higher version (the +1 and +2 tricks
are because of disttags, it would be +0 and +1 otherwise).

Packaging draft to the guidelines (not written by me) :
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ProvidesObsoletes

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2835.fc6
Load : 0.34 0.37 0.28