Make kde 1st class in fedora

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Fri Nov 17 23:01:23 UTC 2006

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> The browser one is funny. I know MANY people who will be upset if it's
> not firefox, period. That has nothing to do with being pro, neutral or
> against KDE, but simple expectation that Firefox is the flag ship open
> source thing for many people (they met it first on Windows and started
> to take open source more serious, now they look at linux), and they
> expect it to be there at least as integrated as the Windows Firefox is.

<flamebait>
Of course it's just a matter of opinions, but am I the only one considering
Firefox (or Thunderbird, and even OpenOffice...) very bad examples of how
to design a good open source program?
</flamebait>

<trolling>
The fact that these applications originated as proprietary software is
still very recognizable today.  They still are very monolithic in nature,
built on their own custom portability and GUI frameworks.
They make heavy use of binary or opaque file formats for storing
settings and other metadata.  And they generally (ab)use threading, or
custom plugin, upgrade, and installation systems.
</trolling>

<disclaimer>
I use all these apps daily, but I still feel somewhat uncomfortable
with them.  Just my 2 cents.
</disclaimer>

 \X/  http://www.develer.com/