Make kde 1st class in fedora

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Nov 18 11:29:38 UTC 2006

lør, 18 11 2006 kl. 11:48 +0100, skrev Olivier Galibert:
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 08:37:16AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> > Users want to configure using a gui.

That displays the fallacy that users want to configure stuff.

They might want the option to tune an application but generally users
just want applications to work and will as a rule rather live with a
suboptimal default configuration for their soecific job than dig through
options and confusing tools/dialogs.

The lesson we have to take away from this is to strive for good default
but remain configurable through a nice uniform interface. This is
exactly why gconf is so cool, translatable decriptor strings explain
what every key does for the user who likes to tweak the more exoteric
parts of their applications and the rest get a nice clean interface with
good defaults and the bare essencesial options.

Please don't assume that users _want_ to configure, it's not an end
goal, it's a means to get work done.

- David Nielsen