Core + Extras

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Mon Nov 20 13:02:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 12:56 +0000, Keith G wrote:
> How will future decisions be made on which packages constitute the
> official release (included in the release CDs and DVD)?

I think at some point the "CD" needs to shrink down; it's an online
world after all, and 5 cd's is just "too much" for people to look up
against.

In addition to making "the cd set" smaller, another option is to make
groups of packages and then have special cds for them  like

fedora-base	(1 or 2 cds with basic OS)
fedora-server	(all "server only" things such as apache)
fedora-gnome	(the gnome desktop packages)
fedora-kde	(the kde desktop packages)
fedora-openoffice (the lot of openoffice.org)

that way if you don't use kde (or gnome) you don't need to download&burn
that CD. Same for openoffice... or you can elect to get that part of the
upgrade via the network