Static linking considered harmful

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Nov 22 16:10:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 09:54:52AM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> But  this is definetly something that has been on its way for awhile now.
> I give a big +1 lets make it happen.

Forcing people not to static link is just crude and inappropriate. Its all
a bit "you will upgrade to vista or else" and hardly IMHO in keeping with
the free software spirit.

Far simpler, cleaner and more friendly will be to dump the static libraries
into libfoo-devel-static packages which are not in the default install. That
ensures people who need to can do static links and the default behaviour is
that they are not there. The -static packages could even get dropped off the
CD easily enough once the mechanisms for handling one srpm spitting out
binary components for extras and core are sorted