FC6: some impressions

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 18:01:14 UTC 2006

> Well yes, people expect it to be there because it's hard to switch
> email clients. It's certainly not a trivial undertaking, and it would
> be a major problem in any conceivable corporate environment.
> I'd go as far as to say it's simply a showstopper for desktop OS.
>
> Now thing is that Evo in FC6 is orders of magnitude worse than in FC5!
> I mean, the bugs that were listed in the discussion you pointed at
> seem trivial in comparison. Right now it's not a matter that it's
> slow, or can't be used over slow links. No. Now it simply hangs while
> sending (or sometimes receiving mail), and the only viable option
> for a regular user is to restart X or reboot!
>
> What good is an email client that can't send mail?!?

I don't know that I agree with that necessarily. For what I use EVO
for on a day to day basis (connecting to an Exchange 2003 server which
can't be done using any other OSS client) Evo have improved
considerably in FC6. It at least doesn't crash a couple of times a day
when looking up email contacts. It definately isn't at the level I
would like stability wise and I wish the developers were a bit more
open and spent more time fixing bugs rather than adding things like
cairo eye candy but at least I'm not at the stage where I was in FC5
where I'm downloading the developement src rpms and compiling them
agaist FC5 to get something close to stable.

I really wish they would start to merge some of the dbus port that has
been done that seems to include a lot of nice memory improvements and
stability improvements etc. I also thought that redhat was looking to
hire a full time evo hacker to help get on top of some of it (they may
well have).

In general I like the feature set of evo I just wish that some of the
long standing issues could be cleared up. The merge of the dbus branch
would be a good start at least then there would be more developers
working on the core branch rather than a fork of the project.

Peter