Static linking considered harmful

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Nov 22 20:07:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 08:57:57PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> It was only half-a-joke.  If the Fedora solution to backwards binary
> compatibility is "recompile locally every application", then Gentoo is
> much better at that kind of job.

Care to explain from what you gathered "recompile locally every
application"?  All I (and others) said is that "linking statically
is almost always a bad idea and not the right answer for binary
compatibility", that's very different from "recompile locally everything".
Compile/link against the oldest libs/with oldest toolchain you want to
support is nothing specific to Fedora, that's simply how e.g. symbol
versioning was designed to work.

	Jakub