Reducing Fedora memory footprint?

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Thu Nov 23 17:04:05 UTC 2006

Dnia 23-11-2006, czw o godzinie 17:30 +0200, Gilboa Davara napisał(a):
> yum is slower by an order of magnitude than apt-get

> Am I the only one having this problem?
Well, on this machine, yum -C update takes 14-18 seconds and apt-get
dist-upgrade takes 9-11 seconds to resolve everything and ask me if I
want to download. At this point, yum takes 7 MiB of memory (ps's SZ),
while apt-get takes 30 MiB (more precisely, apt-shell takes 6,8 to
resolve dependencies, but 30 when you tell it to commit). I still prefer
apt for lots of other reasons, but nowadays it's not so much faster and
doesn't look lighter at all.

Lam