Static linking considered harmful

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Fri Nov 24 23:53:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 08:28:54PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> ok so as an outsider I see two camps
>
> 1) "Static linking is a technical problem and should be discouraged"
> and
> 2) "We want portable-to-other distros"

Not only other distros but also other versions of the same distro, or
architectural variants (32/64bits).

> the 2) camp then makes a step and considers static linking as the way to
> go there. (probably because on other systems that was the case)

It was the case still until the glibc devs did their best to break it.
No there is no way to get any kind of portability.  Packaging the .so
with the application won't work either simply because the tricks used
to break static linking break that too.

  OG.