FC6 on a HP DC7700

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 11:52:29 UTC 2006

On 11/26/06, Gianluca Sforna <giallu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I could do a more detailed report on monday, when I will get back at work.

As promised here is a more detailed report:

right now I have attached only a USB keyboard to it; during the (PXE)
boot without any kernel parameters, everything seems normal until the
lines:

- Freeing initrd memory: 5802 freed
- HP Compaq Laptop seriers board detected. Selecting BIOS-methods for reboots.

which should be harmless, but wrong nonetheless, since this is
everithing but a laptop.
Then it starts ACPI stuff:

- ACPI: bus type pci registered
- PCI: Using MMCONFIG
- Setting up standard PCI resources
- ACPI: interpreter enabled
- ACPI: using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
- ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (0000:00)
- ACPI: Assume root bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

then hangs.

The same happens adding noapic; the only difference is a a couple of
lines disappeared:
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
.. TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1

with nolapic still hangs at the same line, but I have more scary messages:
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
BIOS bug, IO-APIC#0 ID 1 is already used!...
... fixing up to 2. (tell your hw vendor)
..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=-1 pin1=-1 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ...  failed.
...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... works

with acpi=off I can reach anaconda, but the slowness is there despite
I'm not using anymore PS/2 peripherals

I hope this is somewhat useful...