SUG: RPM database verification / repair, nightly and in Anaconda

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Nov 29 21:39:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 16:02 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:

> It would be a good idea to find out how many Fedora users have corrupt RPM
> databases.  My rpm_verifydb package at
> <http://georgeanelson.com/rpm-verifydb.htm> is a start, but it won't report
> problems back to you guys.  ISTM that if yum were to (possibly temporarily)
> verify the RPM database with the only tool available in RPM, "rpm
> --verifydb" (or its synonym "rpmdb_verify"), and then report only broken
> databases to Fedora, that this would not be the sort of privacy invasion
> that is causing so much angst.  If RPM's developer, Jeff Johnson, is
> correct, you won't receive any reports, and the issue can be dropped.  See
> the thread I started at Redhat's rpm-list, "SUG: Automatic RPM database
> verification and repair", for his take on the whole matter.
>
> If you want me to do some of this, ask.

Tony,
 We'd like for the problem to be fixed 'correctly' where correctly means
not just papering over it. However, I definitely understand wanting to
fix problems for users one way or the other. So the best I can say is
that if this problem isn't fixed properly before Fedora 8 then I'll push
hard for something similar to the work-around solution you've described
to be implemented.

-sv