Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Oct 2 21:33:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 19:37:10 +0000,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Christopher Aillon <caillon <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > Fedora does what Fedora wants.  I've pushed for new releases because I
> > can't possibly keep up with the security backporting.  See above.  The
> > fact that I want to meet their needs at this time is a coincidence.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying version upgrades are a bad thing (I'm all
> for them), just that not having a choice is a bad thing.
>
> Thanks for the explanations.
>
> It's not just IE, by the way, pretty much all the browsers have "Mozilla" in
> their UA strings nowadays. ;-)
> Konqueror identifies itself as:
> "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux) KHTML/3.5.4 (like Gecko)"

I believe this dates back to the browser wars when IE was playing catch up.
Web servers were checking the user agent string for 'Mozilla' before sending
pages using Netscape extentions to HTML. When IE was able to hand those
extensions, they still weren't being used because the web sites were all being
updated to take into account its new features. So they started using 'Mozilla'
in their user agent string to make their browser work 'better' on those web
sites.