NVIDIA dkms srpms

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Oct 11 14:14:09 UTC 2006

Matthias Saou wrote :

[...]
> I've put an nvidia-x11-drv package in the FC6 section of my
> repository, which works great for me on FC5, but not yet on FC6 since
> disabling the loading of the dri module is trickier now that the
> modules section of xorg.conf has gone away by default.

Just a quick update to point out that there is now a package of the
latest beta drivers for FC6 which works like a charm for me : Install,
reboot, get the proprietary driver and its accelerated 3D. Uninstall,
reboot, and you're back to the free unaccelerated 3D, with no leftover
files whatsoever on your system. No xorg files get harmed during the
process, only minor editing of xorg.conf is made using pyxf86config.

http://ftp.es6.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/6/nvidia-x11-drv/

I'd be glad to get feedback off-list from anyone who dares test it. A
few side notes :
- I'd like to find a nicer solution than to add the empty "Files"
section to xorg.conf from %post. Maybe pyx86config allows to create the
section, but I haven't found how, as it pretty much completely lacks
documentation.
- It looks like leaving the default of not having any "Module" section
works fine as long as the glx module that gets loaded is the Nvidia
one. The dri module still gets loaded, but I haven't seen any problems
related to that : 3D works fine... weird, I might be missing something.

Remember : THIS IS EVIL PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE. You've been warned.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2759.fc6
Load : 0.00 0.05 0.07