Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 13 11:41:08 UTC 2006

Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> Legacy is supposed to be "bugfixes only" - no? (If everything is just
> updated, how is it different from the current releases?)

Its far from a black and white thing. In some cases, upgrading to the
next release is much more reasonable compared to the amount of work you
do in maintaining a older codebase with heavy number of backports.

>> I can agree with that. However, it is my understanding that what truly
>> makes up the software, the code, is still "free".
>
> It's not; you cannot modify it.

Of course you can. Nobody would be able to fork it if it wasnt Free
software. The mozilla codebase is trilicensed under GPL/LGPL/MPL where
all there of them are Free software licenses. The current issues are
related to trademarks and not copyright licenses.

Rahul