Firefox trademark shenanigans (Re: Any chance of getting Firefox 2.0 into rawhide/FC6?)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 13 23:49:33 UTC 2006

Evandro Fernandes Giovanini wrote:
> Em Sáb, 2006-10-14 às 03:59 +0530, Rahul Sundaram escreveu:
>> Evandro Fernandes Giovanini wrote:
>>
>>> Mozilla doesn't have to make the Firefox logo non-free to protect its
>>> trademark. I know the Debian people even suggested this to Mozilla, but
>>> they refused to relicense it anyway.
>>>
>> I am really curious to know how a completely free to modify logo can be
>> protected by trademarks.
>>

> It's definitely possible. For example, according to [1], the
> redhat-artwork package is under the GPL. That doesn't mean it's not
> protected by trademarks.
>
> Also, see the comments from Larry Rosen on [2]. I think they make the
> issue quite clear.

This isnt very informative. The RPM package license tags are merely
indicative of the licenses and cannot be held as authoritative legal
information. We have in many occasions seen packages where the license
tags were incorrect. If you have more specific information about the
kind of licenses for logos which would allow to protect trademarks while
allowing free modifications, I would interested to know that.

All of the open source projects that I know of which care about
trademarks has a restrictive copyright license on the logo.

Rahul