ati driver question

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Oct 15 16:56:30 UTC 2006

bikehead wrote:
> I have been testing the xorg-X11-drv-ati driver with my T42p with much
> success (I don't see the random lockups others have been reporting).  I
> have used desktop-effects with good success too.  However when I try it
> with 3d games like bzflag or foobilard it doesn't work.
>
> What is the state of the radeon drivers with respect to 3d?  Is it a bug
> if I get messages like the following:
>
>     [bikehead at porco ~]$ bzflag
>     libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
>     *********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
>     File r300_render.c function r300Fallback line 422
>     Software fallback:ctx->Polygon.StippleFlag
>     ***************************************************************************
>     Try R300_SPAN_DISABLE_LOCKING env var if this hangs.
>
> or is the normal state of affairs?
>
> Thanks.

It does work, but you must disable the software fallback code for non
critical cases, create an /etc/drirc containing:
<driconf>
   <device screen="0" driver="r300">
      <application name="all">
         <option name="disable_lowimpact_fallback" value="true" />
      </application>
   </device>
</driconf>

Enjoy!

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

We really should document this somewhere, but where?