*URGENT* Re: Another slip in the FC6 schedule

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu Oct 19 15:27:14 UTC 2006

tor, 19 10 2006 kl. 17:29 +0400, skrev Dmitry Butskoy:
> Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>
> > On 18/10/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Let me be perfectly clear here:
> >>
> >> FEDORA IS NOT A BETA OF RHEL!!!!!!
> >>

> > I think people using Fedora and in anyway involved with it see it that
> > way. However,
> > the CTO of Red Hat doesn't see things that way:
> >
> > http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3628476
> >
> > Specifically:
> > "We're convinced that there is a better way to develop software, so
> > what we did is we blew up the notion of an Alpha and we use Fedora as
> > an alpha."
> >
> > and
> >
> > "FC 5 and FC6 constituted the role of an alpha and now we're going
> > right to Beta 1 in a few weeks."
>
> "Fedora is not a beta of RHEL". Sure! It is an alpha of RHEL :-/
>
> Actually, recently I feel that some RH people think so exactly...

So what?

Every distribution that puts out releases is an alpha for RHEL, they
just happen like many major Linux deployments to take advantage of the
fine work produced by the Fedora Project. RHEL is a derived product of
the Fedora platform, just like the One Laptop Per Children OS and the
Linux that Yellow Dog is producing to go on every single PS3.

Fedora is a powerful platform, I find it degrading and insulting to the
Fedora community that people reduce the fine work to "merely a RHEL
beta", if it was that nobody else would use it, yet every major Linux
deployment in recent history has been on a Fedora derived system.

What Red Hat calls their niche product in relation to Fedora given their
longer development cycle has no baring on the absolutely fantastic OS
Fedora gives people for any purpose, be that building their own niche
product or installing Fedora on their systems.

- David Nielsen