Firefox 2.0 parallel install

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Tue Oct 24 00:50:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 11:35 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> - Honestly, most people really don't care.  For example, in the days
> I've had my binaries up, I've only garnered 83 downloads as of this
> writing.  That's with my blog post, with Remi's, yours and who knows how
> many others plus aggregation.  That's under 10 downloads a day on
> average, but I had 44 downloads after day 1.

Wait until FF 2.0 is officially released and announced. I bet you will
have lots of people clamoring for it.

> - Firefox 2.0 only adds a few minor "nice-to-have" features that you can
> already get with extensions to 1.5.  This really should be called
> Firefox 1.5.1 instead of 2.0 (the internal gecko number version this
> minor change), but it's called 2.0 for marketing purposes.  They feel
> that they will get more people downloading it with a major version bump
> as opposed to a 1.5.1 release.  Looks like the marketing hype is
> working.  Let me state it plainly for everyone: There is nothing
> extremely compelling about Firefox 2.0.  Firefox 3.0 on the other hand
> will be very compelling for both features, linux support, and embedding
> support.  I am seriously considering pushing 3.0 into FC6 and even FC5,
> and have been making noises for a while about that being the next upgrade.

Understood. However, I think the marketing will work and lots of people
will ask for it. The gazillion FC6 reviews that are about to arrive are
likely to point out the lack of FF2.

It is probably less energy to do the FC6 update than it is to repeat
yourself over and over. Afterall, as a minor update and the effort and
impact should quite minimal (much less than say the FF1.0 to FF1.5
update in RHEL4).

Dax Kelson